Call for tender for external expertise in the field of the EU budget
The European Parliament is looking for paid expertise in the field of budgetary affairs.
This includes expertise in European law, Economics, Europe 2020 programmes or other EU policies, EU own resources, Evaluation, Financial Control, Audit, Fight against Fraud, Financial Programming, etc.
More information and the documents for application are available by the following link:
Please note the deadline for application is on 18 November 2019.
Information on the call for tender for budgetary expertise
The European Parliament (EP) has launched an open call for tender for the award of a multiple framework service contract for the provision of external expertise in the field of the EU budget.
The contract notice no. 2019/S 133-325770 can be found under the following link: https://ted.europa.eu/TED/notice/udl?uri=TED:NOTICE:325770-2019:TEXT:EN:HTML
The relevant procurement documents can be found on the EP website under: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/tenders/invitations.htm
The planned multiple Framework service contract is intended to support the work of the two Committees on Budgets (BUDG) and on Budgetary Control (CONT) in the European Parliament by enabling them to request written expertise (research papers) in the areas of competence.
The European Parliament seeks independent expertise on a variety of current and emerging issues connected to its work. Management of the expertise budgets will be carried out at the level of the policy department and committee secretariats. The system aims at providing flexibility and autonomy for Committees, making technical and scientific expertise rapidly available when needed, and increases the utility of this expertise to Members in their everyday political work. It shall also provide the European Parliament with a long-term perspective in their political work.
Through the multiple Framework service contract, expertise shall be provided in the form of research papers of varying length, delivered upon ad hoc requests within a limited and defined time frame. The multiple Framework service contract would also include associated services such as attendance at Committee meetings and presentations by lead experts. The contractor bears sole scientific responsibility for the results of the delivered services. Management of the expertise budgets will be carried out at the level of the policy department and committee secretariats in accordance with the Financial Regulation.
The expertise sought shall support the Committees in their main activities:
The BUDG and CONT committees prepare and exercise the European Parliament’s decision-makings in their roles as Budgetary and Discharge authorities of the European Union. As such, their main responsibilities could be summarised as follows:
- Committee on Budgets (BUDG)
- Multiannual Financial Framework (MFF) of the EU;
- EU revenue;
- Annual adoption of the EU budget (annual budgetary procedure);
- Follow up of the implementation of the EU budget.
- Committee on Budgetary Control (CONT)
- Discharge of the EU budget and ex-post control of implementation of the budget;
- Fight against fraud and the protection of EU financial interests.
This includes amongst others the following activities and aspects:
- The Union’s system of own resources;
- The budgets of the decentralised bodies (agencies);
- Budgetisation of the European Development Fund and the control of its implementation;
- Financial activities of the European Investment Bank and its control;
- Relations with the European Anti-Fraud Office, consideration of fraud and irregularities and
- undertaking measures at preventing such cases;
- Relations with the European Court of Auditors, the appointment of its Members and
- consideration of its reports;
- EU funds, programmes and financial instruments;
- Added value of the spending of the EU budget;
- Control of the financial management of the EU budget and the effectiveness of its programmes;
- The Financial Regulation;
- Cross cutting aspects of EU legislation, budgetary funds and programmes.
Depending on the specific terms of reference for each expertise project, the widespread areas of the EU budget could be regarded from different angles, for example legal, economic, audit, management, political science and/or ethical angles.
Examples for external briefings and studies in the field of the EU budget can be found here: